The diary of a Saudi man, currently living in the United Kingdom, where the Religious Police no longer trouble him for the moment.
In Memory of the lives of 15 Makkah Schoolgirls, lost when their school burnt down on Monday, 11th March, 2002. The Religious Police would not allow them to leave the building, nor allow the Firemen to enter.
Here's an opportunity for anyone up to the age of 25 to write an essay on Civil Rights in the Middle East, with the chance to win a $2000 prize.
It's sponsored by the American Islamic Conference
, which, in my view, is doing exactly what Muslims everywhere should be doing....The American Islamic Congress (AIC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to building interfaith and interethnic understanding. Our organization grew out of the ashes of September 11. We believe American Muslims must take the lead in building tolerance and fostering a respect for human rights and social justice at home and throughout the Muslim world. Within the Muslim community, we are building a coalition around the agenda of unequivocal denunciation of terrorism, extremism, and hate speech. Reaching out to all people of conscience, we promote genuine interfaith dialogue and educate about the diversity within Islam.
If you live in the USA or the Middle East, are 25 or under, and could find a use for $2000, I would encourage you to write one of these essays....Middle East entrants
1. Why are individual rights important?
2. How are non-violent campaigns for civil rights making Middle Eastern societies more open?
3. What is your "dream deferred" - a vision of your society with civil rights for all people?USA Entrants
1. Why should Americans help civil rights reformers in the Middle East?
2. How can you as an individual support the struggle for civil rights in the Middle East?
3. What might the future look like if Americans partner effectively with Middle Eastern reformers?
600 to 2000 words. "The Wild Ones" posting above is 1700 words, so it's not a lot to write (but don't submit that posting!), and God knows, there's no shortage of stuff to write about. So get writing!You can find full details here.